New Year’s Energy Resolutions
Feel like you are paying too much for your utility bills? Well, you aren’t alone. According to Energy Resolutions online, approximately 90% of consumers feel like they are paying too much due to factors like inefficient equipment, energy leaks or poor energy usage. Start off this year with a few suggestions from our experts here at Morris Heating & Air Conditioning on how you can resolve to slash your utility bills this coming year. Not only could you end up saving yourself some serious cash but also reduce your carbon footprint thus protecting our fragile environment.
As we say goodbye to 2016 and usher in the promise of a fresh start and a clean calendar for 2017, now is a good time to start some simple resolutions to help save energy.
- Reduce – Reduce your energy usage dramatically by unplugging equipment that you tend to leave plugged in, like phone chargers, toaster ovens, and computers. ENERGY.gov has a quick calculator that can show you how much you could be saving per appliance.
- Seal Up Leaks – If you have a heating system that relies on ductwork, improperly sealed ducts are often the source when it comes to wasted energy each winter. Some duct leaks may be obvious but if your home is difficult to heat, improperly sealed ducts may be hidden where you cannot see them. Please call us for help in assessing these situations. We will be able to diagnose if the problem relies in the ductwork or in the main heating element. In addition to checking the ductwork, consider caulking, sealing and weather stripping windows and doors to keep cold air out and warm air in. Just by weatherizing your home, you can save yourself another 10-15% on your utility bills. Don’t forget to use the sun for natural heating when you can by opening drapes or shades on south facing windows.
- Get a Check Up – When was the last time you had your heating system inspected? Proper maintenance will extend the life of your system and keep it in proper working condition. Did you know that you can improve the efficiency of your heating system by up to 20% just by having it maintained correctly? Check out the Service and Repair page to find out why performing the annual heating system Clean & Check is so important.
- Save on Lighting – According to the Department of Energy, the average household dedicates about 5% of its energy budget to lighting. Switching to energy-efficient lighting is one of the fastest ways to cut your energy bills. By replacing your home’s five most frequently used light fixtures or bulbs with models that have earned the ENERGY STAR, you can save $75 each year.
- Get a Programmable Thermostat – By updating your thermostat you can not only save money but also increase your comfort level no matter what Mother Nature throws at you. With a programmable thermostat, homeowner’s can adjust the heat according to when they are home. WiFi thermostats offer even more flexibility and MASS Save often offers rebates for both programmable and WiFi thermostats.
Contact Morris Heating and Air Conditioning if you want more great ideas to add to your Energy Resolutions.